Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The First Steps...

 I've been playing with the idea of creating a blog of my experiences while under-going the arduous Foreign Service Officer Test. So far I've passed the first test, the FSWE (Foreign Service Written Exam), and the second test, the PNs (Personal Narratives). I was invited to participate in the OAs (Oral Assessments) and selected a February 2011 test date in Washington D.C.

 Having started this whole process in June 2010, I've spent hours upon hours researching and reading up on other blogs, websites, and groups about the whole process from beginning to register, all the way to the swearing in ceremony and the first assignment. I have also personally met, and spoken with, a few Diplomats in Residence (DIRs) along the way.

  I hope that as I continue this blog, people manage to find it, and benefit from the knowledge that I share. Even if most of it will be a repeat of things that are found on other websites, there must be some level of reassurance that the information found is accurate enough to be re-posted elsewhere. Of course, I am bound by the Non-Disclosure Agreement and will adhere to it, so unfortunately, if my answers to questions (feel free to ask/comment) are a little obscure then that is probably why.

 A brief background on myself: I am 22 years old and a recent graduate from the University of California - San Diego. My degree was in Political Science - International Relations. I've spent most of my life living overseas (in Germany for 4 years and the UK for 6 years respectively) and have been in the U.S. since 8th Grade through college. I took the FSWE in June 2010 as a Management Officer candidate.

 In subsequent posts I will present everything you need to know about registering for the FSOT and my thoughts and reflections on my experience of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment